turquoise

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Strings of Inspiration

A Victorian ensemble is never complete without multiple strands of pearls!
One of my true passions/pass-times is jewelry-making. I am a bonafide jewelry fanatic as well as a self-taught beader. I am always voracious for information on the history and inspiration behind intriguing pieces. Like any artist/crafter, I relish taking an afternoon or evening (or entire day) to create something wearable and beautiful and totally unique. But what to make? - this is la question du jour. I find it handy to keep a notebook or scrapbook of inspiration, with notes, drawings and even printed images or magazine cut-outs of ideas and things that inspire and delight me. I also find many sources of inspiration in movies! I am a cinephile through and through and will watch a film over and over just to oggle the costumes and set designs. Of course, one of my absolute favourite films is the BBC adaptation of Jane Austen's 'Pride & Prejudice' starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. *sigh* So it comes as no surprise that when I spied some of the jewelry featured in this Regency masterpiece I began to wonder how one would make such pieces... One of the very first examples I became enthralled with was a necklace worn by the character of Mrs. Hurst.
Mrs. Hurst's neckline - where it all began...
One of my first signature scalloped designs


The pearls, the scallops, the artistry...it is all so elegant and refined. I searched shops for anything similar and found nothing so I decided to play with my beads and figure out how to make one for myself!

Miss Bingley in all her artistocratic glory
Another design of mine, more complicated this time

 Of course I couldn't stop there! I began to see other designs I loved and pulled elements from them into more of my designs.

Mrs. Jennings from Sense & Sensibility
One of my most intricate cameo necklace designs












A treasured motif to use for my jewelry is the darling cameo. From a young age I have loved this time-honoured symbol of true Victoriana.
























When I saw the film 'Sense and Sensibility' (another Austen adaptation *go figure* with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet) I became enamoured with Mrs. Jennings' fantastic 3-cameo pearl necklace. I simply couldn't rest until I created something akin to it!

Helen Potter (Beatrix's mother) wears a lovely collier




Another example of a multi-strand pearl & cameo design is featured in the film 'Miss Potter' (about the life of beloved Beatrix Potter, starring Rene Zellweger).

My fresh-water pearl & cameo creation.











From Louis XV royal dramas to Regency love stories to Victorian and even Edwardian tales these stunning necklaces make an appearance every now and then. So, why shouldn't a 21st century girl get to wear one (or two or three!) as well?


So, you see, inspiration is everywhere! In the pages of a book or magazine, in stores or online or (as is the case here) within the delicate costume and set details of fabulous period films! What began for me as a relaxing hobby has transformed into an enthusiastic pursuit which I hope one day to translate into an occupation!
My latest creation: fresh-water pearl and black crystal design with cameo pendant
Now, I encourage you all, my friends, to find your inspiration - whatever it may be - and seize it and pursue it with all your heart! You shall see what wonderful things come of it!


P.S:   As I create more designs here at The Clever Cottage, we hope to accumulate enough stock to open our very own Etsy shop and website! Jewelry is just one of the many items we'll have to offer! In the meantime, please feel free to contact me for custom orders. These one-of-a-kind, personalized pieces make gorgeous accessories for weddings and special events and even for a dash of elegance for everyday!    theclevercottage@outlook.com

1 comment: